HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 2

From:
Bob Comeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Comeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:02:55 -0300
It is a SCSI disk but LDEV 4 is occupied by our CDROM, 5 and 6 are printers,
then comes the tapes, so I will be using LDEV 11.

When I went into sysgen under a test group and tried to add the drive so
it appeared similar to the others with regard to the path I found I had to
add a PSEUDO device first at 52.7 before I could add the drive with a path
of
52.7.0.  Must confess this PSEUDO device stuff is a bit fuzzy.  It actually
let me add it with a path of 52.7 first, but there was no PSEUDO device like
all the other drives had.

I was also unclear about whether I needed to make an SLT with the new drive
configured to boot from or, as you suggest, just make changes in the CONFIG
group and boot from the primary path after the drive is in.

I figured the VOLUTIL stuff couldn't be done before the drive was physically
present, although some of it seemed like it could be done ahead of time.
Where this drive was being added to the system volume set, I was concerned
that the
system would not boot if all members of the system volume set were not ready
go when bringing the system up after installing the drive, but the new drive
would
not be ready yet when the system first comes up...   The old chicken and egg
thing.
Your method seems straight forward enough.

Thanks

Bob