HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 2

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:59:24 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> We are still working with the response center on getting the LPQ1000 printer
> to effectively restart after a paper jam.  We have connected it serially and
> via a JetDirect external and in both senarios what happens is, after clearing
> the jam, it continues where it stopped printing.  No recovery at all.
>
> A question I have is: Does ANYONE have an LPQ printer that successfully
> recovers after a paper jam?  By recover I mean printing restarts on the jammed
> page  without issuing some sort of spooler command.  If so, could you let me
> know what OS and patch level or if you had to do anything to make it work.  We
> are on OS 5.5 patch 4.

I just got this from an HPRC engineer who claims to have successfully gotten
LPQ printers to work with recovery (note; JUST LPQ printers -- not the new
lasers).

His word was that it requires a hardware upgrade to the LPQ printers,
bringing them to LPQnnnnC (from A or B models). It's a flash-ram and SIMM
hardware upgrade, and a firmware upgrade by a CE after that.

He said HP is trying to decide how to handle distribution; they are planning
on doing free updates on printers still under warranty (which is something
like 3 months if I recall correctly?? and doesn't help us any). Other than
that it would require buying the hardware and HP would do the firmware for
free.......

Once on rev C printers, the jam recovery functionality supposedly works. We
haven't gotten ours updated yet (but will be). Will let everyone know.

> Another question is does installing patch MPEKXF7B which allows the command
> SERIAL_PRINTER_SIMULATION= in the npconfig file help with the recovery.  I
> have not installed this patch as it does not mention anything about it fixing
> any recovery issues but maybe it does....

Don't think so.

           -Chris Bartram