HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 2

From:
"Newman, Kevin:" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Newman, Kevin:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:46:55 -0400
Generally their support is great.  I've only had one instance when I
felt a little less than a paying customer to them.  They log invalid
logins, people running GOD.PUB.VESOFT, etc to a file.  The report
doesn't show the full year, and an auditor was coming around to view our
Y2K readiness.  I asked if there was a way to get the whole 4 digits to
print and they said there was not enough room on the report to do that.
I said that I could make room and I would be happy to write the report
if they would give me the file layout.  They told me that I could try
reverse engineering the file layout, but they didn't have time to bother
looking up the format since the format was buried in code.  Hello?  You
don't have time to lookup a format of a file for your customer?!?  I was
a little bit disenchanted with the magic of these wonderful gurus of the
HP3000 realm!

Kevin

ps.  If anyone does have the file layout for LOG20.DATA.VESOFT, I would
be rather grateful to be able to see it, and if anyone has a little time
to kill and wants to give their try at the format, let me know and I'll
give you a little head-start with what I was able to figure out on my
own.