HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 2

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:01:21 -0700
Joe Geiser writes:
> Actually, does anyone know if there is an open source NNTP server
> that can be readily ported?  Hell, I'd love to get this gateway onto
> a 3000 and off, er, Exchange.  Most all of our mail is on NetMail.

INN (http://www.isc.org/view.cgi?/products/INN/index.phtml) is what I run here
on HPUX, and it's certainly open source.

The obvious issue you'd need to investigate is MPE's lack of hard links.  INN's
traditional news spool format relies on a separate directory for each newsgroup.
When a crossposted article is received, INN writes it into the directory
for the first newsgroup, and then visits all of the other crossposted newsgroup
directories to create hard links pointing back to the original article.  Since
MPE lacks hard links, this would be hard to do.  ;-)

But INN does support splitting your news spool across multiple filesystems, and
hard links CANNOT be used across filesystem boundaries.  So therefore INN must
be willing to support symbolic links in this configuration, which would be OK
with MPE.

Or you could just ignore the traditional news spool format and go with the new
CNFS style, which writes articles into pre-formatted flat-file "databases".  No
hard or symbolic links are involved, and performance is supposed to be better
anyway.

This is probably more than you wanted to know about INN.  ;-)  As a low-volume
HP3000-L gateway, it would probably be OK on a 3000, but I don't think I'd
want to inflict a full "Big 8"+alt.* newsfeed upon my 3000 anytime soon.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/