HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 05:54:52 -0400
Jamie Dickson writes,

> You may want to check out the intrinsic RPMCREATE.
>
> It will do logon validation and create a new process in either a new or
> existing session.   It does not count against the user license count and
> it does not require PM.   The only downside is that (since it is designed
> for "batch" processes) UDC's are not catalogued.

Only speaking from our own experiences here:

Actually, if memory serves correctly (and remember, I just turned 40, and
everyone has told me that the grey matter starts to erode now ;) - RPM
performs a programatic session start and logon, and does count against the
user limit.  It's similar (although not quite exactly the same) to
:STARTSESS - but in reverse, as the session is initiated from the product
itself, as opposed to the 3000 initiating it with STARTSESS.

(The FTP server, prior to going to inetd workd in roughly the same way,
performing a programatic logon.  I haven't checked out the inetd version and
whether it does the same thing).

WhisperTech Studio uses RPM (as stated in the snipped portion of the
message) as does Qedit for Windows (which we use).  I can't speak for Studio
since we don't use it, but a Qedit for Windows session does count against
our user limit (for grins and giggles, we tried it - opened sessions up to
the limit, then attempted to open a file with Qedit/Windows and it failed
for this very reason).

When one opens the first host file (not a local PC file - they don't count),
a connection is opened, a logon is initiated via RPM, the logon message
appears on the console and the count is kicked up by one.  If Studio works
in the same way, then it too, should be counting against the license limit.

The only method I've seen, to have a "session" with the 3000 and not have it
count against the license count, is to use the sockets library.  As Charles
wrote earlier, it could open a pandoras box, but those products which use
the sockets library (such as ODBC drivers), perform AIF:PE authentication on
the user.account,group and checks associated passwords.  This is the key to
ensure proper authentication in this environment.

Regards,
Joe

Joe Geiser, Managing Partner
BizNetTech.net LLC
Phone: +1(215) 945.8100   Fax: +1(215) 943.8408
Toll Free (US/Canada): (877) 945.8100