HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 1

From:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:02:31 -0700

Using sockets is doable, however, let's not forget security.  If
you don't care about security, you can do a quick and dirty implemetation
that has each terminal emulator nailed to a preassisgned tcp port
with a dedicated listner sitting there serving as the menu program
for your application.  However, the simple solution requires no
user authentication.

Let's say that the program that lets you in, handles the socket
communication,
on the HP 3000 runs in PM. This just might open the old pandora's box to the
system.  If the computer is even indirectly exposed to the Internet lookout.

It is still possible to do the login's without cost, however, someone
concerned about security should use a master program that authenticates
the users and then with some control, assigns tcp ports.

Charles Finley
Transformix Computer Corporation
(310) 630-1773
(310) 630-1770