HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 1

From:
"Thompson, George" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thompson, George
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:24:53 -0400
HP 800 was the old nomenclature for HP-UX-based servers. Likewise for the HP
700 and HP-UX workstations. Cicra mid-1995, HP has been using an
alphabet-class designation (similar to Mercedes Benz automobiles, I might
note) for BOTH HP-UX servers (A-Class, D-Class, E-class, K-Class, N-class,
R-class, V-class), and HP-UX workstations (e.g., B-Class, C-Class and
J-Class ).

Not to confuse the issue, but please note that there are also P-Class and
X-Class workstations, which are Intel Pentium III and Pentium III Xeon
systems, respectively. As such they are considered a subset of of HP's Kayak
product line, the brand name for HP PC workstations (which are also Pentium
III and Pentium III Xeon-based). The P- and X-class PC workstations, despite
using non-PA-RISC  CPUs, do include HP's Visualize graphic subsystems which
are distinctive to the HP-UX systems, hence they are officially a part of
the UNIX workstation product line.

As far as HP-UX is concerned, up until 10.0 (first released in July 1995) HP
maintained separate versions for the Series 700 workstations and 800
servers. I believe 9.05 was the last version for the Series 700
workstatioins. Likewise, version. 9.04 was the last for the Series 800
servers. From what I understand, because of differences in filesystem
implementations between 9.x and 10.x., binary compatibility might not be
exactly that.

However, since HP-UX 10.0, HP has maintained a single converged version of
HP-UX for all workstations and servers. As you might suspect,  there are
still some minor differences between the two. As for binary compatibility --
it's much better now through version 11.0, though I doubt it's 100% perfect.
However, I'm not a HP-UX guru, so I'll have to leave it to others to fill in
the nitty-gritty techical gaps.

George A. Thompson
Editor in Chief
HP Professional Magazine