HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 4

Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:28:02 -0400
Glenn has said some excellent things.  One, however, I'd like particularly
to emphasize:

> As to a lack of candidates, I am not sure that the process of "how to become
> nominated" entirely clear.  I know it's not for me.  I, for one, am not only
> willing to serve, I have the backing of my firm to serve - but I am not sure
> how to "get on the ballot".

Until I have had an opportunity to serve, I have grave doubts about the lack
of willing candidates.  Perhaps it would be valuable for the board to focus
less on whatever qualifications they think the candidates need and look a
little more for people who care about the organization and would be willing to
serve.  It seems amazing to me that out of however many members Interex has
that there aren't 7 people who would be glad to give a year or two to making
it a better organization.

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
Euclid alone has looked on Beauty bare.
Let all who prate of Beauty hold their peace,
And lay them prone upon the earth and cease
To ponder on themselves, the while they stare
At nothing, intricately drawn nowhere
In shapes of shifting lineage; let geese
Gabble and hiss, but heroes seek release
From dusty bondage into luminous air.
O blinding hour, O holy, terrible day,
When first the shaft into his vision shone
Of light anatomized! Euclid alone
Has looked on Beauty bare. Fortunate they
Who, though once only and then but far away,
Have heard her massive sandal set on stone.
                        -- Millay, Edna St. Vincent (1892 - 1950)