HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 4

From:
Greg Cagle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Cagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:32:37 -0700
Couldn't let this one pass...

"Eric H. Sand" wrote:

> <After Chuck after Stan:>
> Mr. Piercey,
>             Your statement on this list serv "It's a policy that could be
> changed if that is
>         what members want." sounds very patronizing to me in light of your
> other
>         statement that " who besides members are interested in "inside"
> Interex stuff?".
>         If this last statement held true then this "policy" review
> proposition should have
>         only gone out to Interex members, not the HP3000-L.

Yes, but the HP3000-L are the only people complaining about it
to my knowledge.

This is not some kind of Interex conspiracy to hide things, but
rather a very small part of an overall policy about what should
be available to members and non-members. Chuck's point is that
it's easily changed if the members want to. I guess I don't see
what's so patronizing about that.

> I used to be a fervent member of Interex until I saw the
> gradual shift away
> from the HP3000 to HP-UX.

I hate it when the world changes out from under me like that 8^).

> You must remember that the original
> membership
>         of Interex was %100 HP3000 centric

I think everyone is aware of that at this point 8^). You must
realize, though, that the current membership is *not* HP3000 centric.

> and attracted some very motivated and
>         talented people who not only wrote excellent articles for Interact,
> but contributed
>         their energy to a cause with a sense of community. In my mind
> Interex no longer
>         characterizes this.

Then you should vote with your wallet and go elsewhere. If Interex does
not provide what you need from a user group, either bail or work to
change things. Volunteer. Run for the Board. Whatever.

> What caused Interex to shift to HP-UX can
> probably be best
>         answered by HP corporate with its "attemp" to convert the HP3000
> base to
>         HP-UX, thinking that the HP3000 would "fade away".

You need to look at the installed base statistics. There are a lot
more HP-UX sites than there are HP 3000 sites, and they need a user
group too. Desperately. You think CSY is difficult to deal with?
Try dealing with the UX server people. They could care LESS about
user groups.

If you think there's an HP-directed conspiracy to direct Interex
away from the 3000, you're smoking some pretty funny stuff. It's
the realities of the marketplace that are driving things, and
expecting Interex to remain static is not realistic.

> The inner workings of Interex
>         now seem to be shrouded in secrecy whereas before we all knew what
> we were
>         dealing with. I will have no part of an organization where there are
> secret agendas
>         and decisions made on my "behalf".

Eric, thanks for your opinion. Let me ask you, have you ever read
the Board minutes, published in InterexPress? Ever attended a Board
meeting? Ever attended the Interex business meeting at HP World?

BTW there's no truth to the rumor that Chuck and the Board are actually
puppets of the Illuminati and the Trilateral Commission. 8^)

- Greg

.sig deleted to avoid inadvertant laughter