HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 3

From:
Lane Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lane Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:39:41 -0700
> BTW; the problem is that the new printers speak a new variation of PJL, with
>     some extended "responses" that the MPE/iX spooler software doesn't
>     understand. The problem is that the MPE/iX spooler (network printing)
>     software apparently wasn't coded in a way that made it "forward compati-
>     ble" with newer PJL revs, so it gags on responses it doesn't understand.
>     I'd say it's clearly a software problem; the spooler needs to at least
>     ignore responses it doesn't understand -- like "tray 2 is empty, using
>     tray 3" type messages. I can understand the spooler not keeping up with
>     every new printer/PJL rev out there, but just like web browsers; if the
>     syntax is ok but ya don't understand the command, let it go...

The response center told me that the page level recovery was broken on the
lpq printers, not so much that it's a different PJL version. We don't see
the problem with reprinting going to laserjets.

They also said that the %200 & %300 carraige controls cause problems with
printing to page printers.

Did you try setting "SERIAL_PRINTER_SIMULATION=TRUE" using patch MPEKXF7B
and the LPQ printers? The say this runs the data through a different spooler
that acts *MORE* like the serial/hpib printers.

-Lane