HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 23:39:02 EDT
Today's issue of the on-line version of Wired Magazine has a story about the
snafu at [log in to unmask] The URL is:

     http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/20088.html

It seems obvious that this is only going to be the first of many similar
stories. I would expect essentially the same story to soon appear in Time or
Newsweek. The SETI people actively courted these same outlets in the
beginning; now it would seem only reasonable that these same news
organizations will run the counter follow-up story as well.

If I were to make a suggestion to the people at Berkeley, I would suggest
that they recruit Jeff Vance to take a couple of week's vacation and drive
across the Bay for a fortnight. They desperately need someone like Jeff,
someone who's technically capable, who knows how to tell a large number of
people the straight truth, good or bad.

Nonetheless, as I say, I remain enthusiastic about the project. From what I
hear however, I would not expect them to have their current problems worked
out and stably resolved until nearly the beginning of July.

Wirt Atmar