HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

From:
Leonard Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leonard Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:55:08 -0400
Management here is seeking information on Allbase performance and any known limits.
We currently have in-house applications that use Allbase/SQL and Allbase/Net.  We are
planning to implement an application that will use Allbase access, via the web, for
both read and write operations to our TurboImage data bases. We anticipate that we
may have numerous users connecting to our Allbase environments to access legacy data
an HP3000.  Outside of sessions that use Allbase, we also have approx 1500 sessions
logging into our online application environment directly on the HP3000.  Our
understanding is that Allbase connections are granted access via the background
listener jobs ODBCLNSE and HPDARPA. If there are several connections via these
listener jobs, are they all considered a single process (PIN)? or multiple processes?

At what number of Allbase connections should we begin to see any performance impact
or degradation (if any) on SQL operations and queries against the IMAGE databases?
What available methods are there to minimize this impact?  Is there a limit to the
number of sessions that can use Allbase?  If so, is this configurable?  Conversely,
what might the impact be of numerous Allbase users upon TurboImage performance? Are
there any situations (i.e. a write operation is aborted before fully completing) that
may corrupt IMAGE data?

What other considerations might there be for us to keep in mind before setting out on
this route?

Thanks.
Leonard S. Berkowitz
mailto:[log in to unmask]