HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:45:28 EDT
As one of the Hewlett-Packard design team for a new web-based course
(the working title is "MPE/iX for System Operators") I would like to enlist
your help with its design. Your past generosity has improved many
enhancements to MPE and we thought we could likewise improve our
courseware by asking for your comments and suggestions on the following
outline of topics to be covered in the new course.

Perhaps some of the background that shaped our current design will help
you to assess the outline presented:

(i) Some HP customers have said that they will NOT send new system
operators to off-site training, making web-based instructor led delivery a
viable alternative.

(ii) The newly revised "MPE/iX Fundamentals" (HP3117S) course is targeted
at a wider audience than the old "System Operation Skills and System
Administration ..." (B2802) course that it replaced. That is, operators are
exposed to some topics (e.g., MPE/iX CI Programming, IMAGE/SQL database,
etc.) that are not directly relevant to their job.

(iii) The typical web-based course is about 9 hours in duration (3 sessions
of 3 hours each) with hands on homework assignments between each session.

(iv) This course is intended to present only core competencies necessary to
jump start neophyte operators. There is a possibility of a second course to
cover advanced material or old material at greater depth.

Finally, as we are new to this web-based seminar format we would also like
your input about the delivery method itself. Specifically, these web-based
courses are typically instructor led seminars. Unlike classroom delivery
we cannot be sure that every student will have access to a HP 3000 during
the seminar. If you were to enroll a student in this class would you be
willing to let them practice on your local HP 3000? If we could make telnet
connection to HP systems available would such access be permitted in your
company or organization? In general, how important is hands-on during the
seminar, bearing in mind that there would be hands-on "homework"
assignments that would reinforce the material presented?

Well, with that introduction here is the course outline:

MPE/iX for System Operators Course Outline

1. Introduction
* What a system operator does
* What you will learn in this course

2. Logon
* How to
* Passwords
* Security concerns

3. Help
* Using the on-line help index - drill down from topic to command
* Syntax - understanding the on-line help
* MPE/iX manuals on the web
* MPE/iX web page on the ITResourceCenter

4. MPE/iX Account Structure
* The four MPE objects
  - Accounts
  - Groups
  - Files
  - Users
* Gathering information
  - LISTACCT
  - LISTGROUP
  - LISTFILE
  - LISTUSER
* Moving about
  - CHGROUP
  - HELLO (change account)
* Top down security

5. The Console
* Logical and Physical
  - Access Port
  - Console commands (CTRL A)
  - Control mode (CM>)
  - CONSOLE command
* Local and Remote
  - Access Port
* Messages and Replies
  - Tape mount
  - Forms mount
  - Write ring
  - Canceling a request

6. Managing Jobs and Sessions
* Distinguishing Master Operator and System Supervisor functions (commands)
* Getting Information
  - :SHOWJOB ;JOBQ
  - Finding Jobs and sessions
  - Checking status
  - LISTJOBQ
  - SHOWPROC
* Limiting access to the system
  - JOBFENCE
  - LIMIT
  - JOBQ
  - JOBSECURITY ;PASSEXEMPT =
* Submitting, monitoring and controlling jobs
  - STREAM
    - Job and session states
    - Why jobs wait and what to do about it.
      - Priority too low
      - Critical system resource unavailable
    - Scheduling jobs
  - ABORTJOB
  - Communicating with users (TELL and WARN)
  - BREAKJOB and RESUMEJOB
  - ALTJOB

7. Spooler Basics - managing printers and reports
* Commands
  - SPOOLER
  - LISTSPF
  - SPOOLF
* Saving spool files to tape
* Restoring spool files from tape

8. Protecting the System (and your job) - System Backup
* Tape safety
  - Inserting tape in DDS drive
  - Labeling and storage
  - Cleaning the tape drive
* Commands
  - STORE
    - The ;DIRECTORY clause
  - RESTORE
    - The importance of ;KEEP and ;OLDDATE
    - Obtaining a tape index (:RESTORE *T;@[log in to unmask]@;LISTDIR)
* Creating a CSLT (boot tape)
* Verifying STORE and CSLT tapes
  - VSTORE
  - CHECKSLT.MPEXL.TELESUP

9. System Startup and Shutdown (planned or otherwise)
* Putting MPE/iX to bed
  - Preventing new logons
  - Have users logoff and/or ABORTing jobs and sessions
  - Reply to console requests
  - Shutdown the Network
  - CTRL A SHUTDOWN
  - Shut 6
* Booting to >ISL
* Starting MPE/iX
  - SYSSTART file
  - Starting the network
* Powering the system off and on
* Emergency shutdown
  - CTRL A LOGOFF
  - CTRL A LOGON
* Documenting System Failures
  - The Goldbook
  - What to record
  - Who to notify

Thank you all in advance,
Frank
Frank Alden Smith
(MPE/iX instructor and course developer under contract to Hewlett-Packard)
Alden Research, Inc.
3617 Ligon Road
Ellicott City MD  21042

Phone: (410) 750-2101
Fax:   (410) 750-2104

"All knowing is doing" -- Humberto Maturana (biologist and teacher)