HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

From:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:36:42 -0400
At 13:09 6/13/99 -0700, you wrote:
<snip>
>Am I totally off-base with this, or should we try harder to encourage
>people to switch to plain text?  I'd be up for having listserv and the
>gateway bounce postings in unacceptable formats if that were possible
>(though I suspect it's not practical) with a message explaining why
>the post was rejected and a pointer to information on fixing your client's
>configuration.

</snip>

I think people ought to be encouraged to use plain text.  Postings which
can not be read by some poeple reduces the utility of the list, and is, I
am sure, frustrating to those who can't read them.

However, I think that bouncing postings which don't use plain text is a bit
heavy-handed.  Maybe sending a warning back to the sender that the message
may be unreadable, but still posting the message, is a gentler way to do
this.  I have no clue if this can be done or not.

Tom Brandt                            Northtech Systems, Inc.
+1 734-769-5040                     3588 Plymouth Road, Suite 292
+1 734-769-5498 (FAX)            Ann Arbor, MI 48105