HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 1

From:
John Zoltak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Zoltak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:30:41 -0400
Hello List Members,

So far I got two private replies on this. Both more or less having to do
with the fact that the test case uses a database. One being that I'm
opening the DB too fast after creation, and the other that the
permissions are copies to the DBG somehow. So a new test case that
involves a flat file and the PRINT command was devised.

I recently had a problem when install a new version of HP MM/3000. The
access permissions were not correct and when I did fix them they did not
take effect until the files to be accessed, were closed. Is this the way
it is supposed to work? I've checked the Mpe/iX security guide and find
nothing about this

To replicate the effect:

Create a test account, call it Newacct TEST,MGR;Access=(R,W,A,L,X:AC) -
note that non-account users have no access.
On the PUB group do ALTGROUP PUB;ACCESS=(R,W,A,L,X:ANY) - let anyone
access.
Logged on as Mgr.Test, create a file, say X with EDITOR or whatever you
like with two lines of whatever you want.
Now type PRINT X;PAGE=1. This will leave the file open, read and shared.
:print x;page=1
This is line 1
(2/2) Continue?

On another terminal, logon to some other account where you don't have SM
and type PRINT X.PUB.TEST.
You should get;
Mgr.Na:print x.pub.test
             ^
SECURITY VIOLATION  (FSERR 93)
The PRINT command failed. (CIERR 9080)

Now back in Manager.Sys, do ALTACCT Test;Access=(R,W,A,L,X:ANY) - let
any user on system access files.

get the same error.
Do a LISTFILE,4 and see that you do have access.
Mgr.Na:LISTFILE X.PUB.TEST,4
FILE: X.PUB.TEST

ACCOUNT ------  READ : ANY
               WRITE : ANY
              APPEND : ANY
                LOCK : ANY
             EXECUTE : ANY

GROUP --------  READ : ANY
               WRITE : ANY
              APPEND : ANY
                LOCK : ANY
             EXECUTE : ANY
                SAVE :

FILE ---------  READ : ANY                FCODE: 0
               WRITE : ANY              **SECURITY IS ON
              APPEND : ANY                NO ACDS
                LOCK : ANY
             EXECUTE : ANY

FOR MGR.NA: READ, WRITE, EXECUTE, APPEND, LOCK
Then finally go back to the test account logon and complete the PRINT
command so the file closes.

Now in your non-SM account you can print the file.

John Zoltak
North American Mfg Co
Cleveland, Ohio