HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 1

From:
Ceceil Barbarino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ceceil Barbarino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 20:45:34 GMT
Hello everyone:

Is anyone familiar with the POSIX 'FOLD' command?  What it is supposed to
do is:

" DESCRIPTION
          fold reads the standard input, or each file, if you specify any.
Each input line is broken into lines no longer than width characters.  If
you do not specify width on the command line, the default line length is
80.  The output is sent to the standard output."

I got this command from HPRC when I was trying to find a way to get a file
from our Mainframe to our HP3000. This is the job stream:

!shell
cd /SGAII/CBARBAR1
fold -bw 347 /SGAII/CBARBAR1/CBCNVNW > /SGAII/CBARBAR1/CBCNVW1
exit
!FILE CBCNVW2.CBARBAR1;REC=-347,,F,ASCII;DISC=10000000
!FCOPY FROM=CBCNVW1.CBARBAR1;TO=*CBCNVW2.CBARBAR1;NEW

Although this seems to work, what is happening is the last file created
(CBCNVW2) contains 35 more records than the original file! It seems to have
arbitarily grabbed data and added it to the end of the file! The data
itself is correct, I did a compare on both files, the only difference is
the added records.

If anyone has any thoughts, solutions, options, anything, it will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!

Ceceil Barbarino
MPE Sys. Admin.
Rodale Press