HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 1

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> We have an Epson DFX 5000+ that is connected to the network thru TCPIP and
> would like our 3000 927lx to be able to print to it. Is this possible? If
> so, how can it be done. We've already set up a couple of Laserjet 8000 Ns
> with no problems, but this Epson seems to be giving us the most hassle.
> Please help. Thanks. [...]38_2Jun199912:12:[log in to unmask] 2451 25 61_Re: interruption problem printing to HP LJ 8100N via n etwork11_John [log in to unmask], 2 Jun 1999 12:34:39 -0400612_- Chris Bartram wrote:
> No fix; the workaround is to turn off PJL support on the
> printer (in npconfig.pub.sys) and lose all ability to do
> page-level-recovery.

Chris,

I've heard this a lot about printing to LaserJet printers but I still
don't know what is meant by page-level-recovery. I've been using
LaserJet's on our HP3000 for 10 years now. Even when we used serial
connections and term type 18, if a page were to jam in the printer, the
printer itself would reprint the incomplete page, or one page before the
jammed page. So what is lost without PJL [...]41_2Jun199912:34:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:12:31 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> We have an Epson DFX 5000+ that is connected to the network thru TCPIP and
> would like our 3000 927lx to be able to print to it.  Is this possible?  If
> so, how can it be done.  We've already set up a couple of Laserjet 8000 Ns
> with no problems, but this Epson seems to be giving us the most hassle.
> Please help.  Thanks.

You're not likely to get an EPSON printer talking to HP's network-spooler.
Try ESPUL from RAC, or Minisoft's netprint, or Quest's print package.

The HP3000 MPE spooler requires (at least) some PCL support at the printer
level, and a jetdirect (100% compatible) network card or box that talks the
SNMP language the MPE spooler utilizes to get printer status.

      -Chris Bartram