HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 1

From:
Ken Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:33:08 -0600
This is a heads up to anyone using jumbo datasets and Turbostore.

If you store a database (which has jumbo datasets) to tape and then try to
restore the database on top of a copy of the database (which does not have
jumbo datasets), you will receive an FSERR 45 Privilege File Violation and
your restored database will have both the original MPE dataset and the jumbo
chunk files and IMAGE will only see the MPE dataset.

You need to purge your database (which does not have jumbo datasets) first
before doing the restore.

This problem can happen when a user trys to move their production database
(which has jumbo datasets) into their test environment.  You would probably
get a similar problem if you restored a non-jumbo database on top of a jumbo
database.

An SR has been created for this problem SR 5003-465989.  The error message
from Turbostore looks like this:

:restore *t;testdb@;show
          >> TURBO-STORE/RESTORE  VERSION  C.60.00  B5152AA  <<
                    (C) 1986 HEWLETT-PACKARD CO.

RESTORE  *t;testdb@;SHOW

FRI, JUN  4, 1999,  4:13 PM

16:13/#S548/73/LDEV 7 GENERAL I/O ERROR. I/O STATUS % 1346
?16:13/#S548/73/LDEV# FOR "T" ON DDS (NUM)?

=reply 73,7
16:13/20/Vol (unlabelled) mounted on LDEV# 7

WILL RESTORE        8 FILES          ; NUMBER OF FILES ON MEDIA        9

VOLUME RESTRICTIONS            SECTORS CODE   MEDIA FILENAME
DISC                        :C      32 PRIV       1 /TURBO/JUMBO/TESTDB
DISC                        :C      16 PRIV       1 /TURBO/JUMBO/TESTDB01
DISC                        :C    1808 PRIV       1 /TURBO/JUMBO/TESTDB02
DISC                        :C      96 PRIV       1 /TURBO/JUMBO/TESTDB03
DISC                        :C      48 PRIV       1 /TURBO/JUMBO/TESTDB04
PRIVILEGED FILE VIOLATION  (FSERR 45)
/TURBO/JUMBO/TESTDB05 NOT RESTORED: ENCOUNTERED PRIVILEGE VIOLATION
                                         PURGING OLD FILE
DISC                        :C     112 PRIV       1 /TURBO/JUMBO/TESTDB05.001
DISC                        :C     112 PRIV       1 /TURBO/JUMBO/TESTDB05.002

DATABASE INFORMATION:

TURBOIMAGE DATABASE: /TURBO/JUMBO/TESTDB
FILES RESTORED :                                      7
FILES FAILED TO RESTORE :                             1

FILES RESTORED :                               7
FILES FAILED TO RESTORE :                      1

This problem has been reproduced under 6.0 and 5.5 and probably has existed
since jumbo datasets came into being.  The problem is that an MPE dataset
has a filecode of -401 and a jumbo control file has a filecode of -408 but
they both happen to have the same name in two different databases.
Turbostore assumes that in order to purge the one on the system I need to
open it with the filecode of the one on tape and this causes the FSERR 45 so
it does not purge the old one and continues with the restore.

One other fix is to purge the MPE dataset with MPEX or STORE;PURGE and then
restore the control file with the PARTIALDB option.

Once you have a database in this state, DBUTIL will not see or purge the
posix chunk files if you try to use the PURGE command.  You will again need
to use MPEX or STORE;PURGE to totally clean-up after yourself.

Hope this is helpful to someone,

|            r  |  Ken                             [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  Ken Paul                      Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Customer Support              Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.