HP3000-L Archives

June 1999, Week 1

From:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 10:33:54 -0700
  I noticed this a few days ago as well when my 'Work Units Sent' count was substantially
lower than 'Results Received' count.  I checked the Top 100 users and noticed that most
of them were similar in that regard (although quite a bit ahead of my counts here :).  I
wrote down the 'Data Info' and after that work unit had processed and it started work on the
next, I noticed that it was the same.  I then checked a second system that is also processing
the SETI info, and it too was the same data.

  The SETI@Home home page mentions several of the problems Wirt mentioned, but I
didn't see anything about the "processing the same work unit" problem.  They do say
that they are up to over 500,000 participants, and I guess they are afraid that if people
start turning off the program/screen-saver, they will not turn it back on again.

  Since for the most part, I don't even notice the processing, I'll oblige Berkely and leave it
going for now.

  BTW, (Gavin, Stan, Mark(s), etc).  If you do end up getting a MPE/iX port, let me know
and I'll gladly install it here at EDIT (assuming the problems at Berkely are resolved by
that time).  We should setup a MPE/IX "Team" and see if we can get listed into the
Top 100 ourselves!

Regards,
Michael L Gueterman
Easy Does It Technologies
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.editcorp.com
voice: (888) 858-EDIT -or- (509) 943-5108
fax:   (509) 946-1170