HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 4

From:
Cynthia Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 09:09:15 -0500
I've run into this before. I did quite a lot of training at the last place I worked.
One of the pieces of software we used referred to RETURN and ENTER
in their documentation. In teaching my users how to use that product, I
asked them how many remember typewriters (most of them were older
ladies) which was instantly recognized. By familiarizing them with the PC
keyboard and relating it to a typewriter keyboard, the confusion about "RETURN" vs "ENTER" was quickly eliminated. We just drew an
imaginary line on the PC keyboard to distinguish the typewriter side and the
PC additions. Worked like a charm, especially with older users!

Cynthia Bridges-Fowler
MIS Operation Analyst
IMC Global, Inc. / IMC Salt, Inc.

>>> Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]> 05/24/99 01:04PM >>>
Thus it was written in the epistle of Stan Sieler,

> The "enter" vs "return" really got me when I was trying to help my aunt,
> via the phone, with her new PC.  I'd constantly refer to the "return" key,
> puzzling her.  I eventually got into the habit of saying "enter" with her.

It's frustrated me (and many others I'm sure) when dealing with Block Mode
stuff on the HP: "Now, since we're in block mode, you'll need to use the
Enter key instead of the Return key.  Uh, I mean, uh, not the key marked
'enter', that's the return key.  You'll want to be using the numeric keypad
'enter' key . . ." (with any luck, someone's remapped that to be "return" as
well and what they really need is F12 or maybe F10 or . . . :-).

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
[His second motto:]