HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 16:09:25 -0400
Jeff Kell after Robert Joseph,

> Robert Joseph wrote:
>
> > Suppose there was a way to place an intercept on the Web
> data stream,
> > perhaps on routers or switches along the transmission path.  For
> > example, you might be browsing a site and all of a sudden get a new
> > window opened asking you to buy or do something.  This was generated
> > somewhere along the data stream independent of any web site or ISP.
> > Is it technically feasible?
>
> You bet.  This is often used as a "feature".  I know of at least one
> instance, there is a company that offers "in-room" Internet access for
> a daily fee (have seen it at the Sunnyvale Westin).

<snip>

Yes - it happened to me recently on a trip I took.  I was booked into a room
with ethernet access.  Same thing that Jeff describes.

It was a mild irritant as it was done only once.  Apparently, it captured my
MAC address and cached it, so I didn't see it again.  It actually covers
their collective rearends - and if done in this way (cache the MAC address
and done only once), I can live with that without a problem.

Cheers,
Joe