HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 22:25:13 -0400
More (68 lines)
Hello Friends @ 3000-L,

Re: More than 14 neighbor gateways

-----------------------------------------------------Michael D. Hensley wrote--
We've got a customer that needs to configure more than 14 "neighbor gateways"
in NMMGR.  Even though the screen has room for 36, you are only allowed 14
(the manual mentions this, also). Other than adding more NI's, does anyone have
any suggestions? Why the seemingly arbitrary limit of 14? Thanks!
  Michael D. Hensley
-----------------------------------------------------Michael D. Hensley wrote--

Error message seen:
  CONFIGURED GATEWAYS (15) MUST BE <= IPU MAX GATES (14). (VALERR 32)

  SR: 1653-243980
FROM: NSTFD10
Max'Max'Gates changed from 14 to 256 following IPU rewrite

  SR: 1653-078519
FROM: NSTEDF3
Rewrite IPU in NM to allow greater connectivity on iX systems.

Sorry for the late reply, it has been a busy few weeks which is a good thing I
guess. Nothing like job security!

First a quick answer to the arbitrary limit of 14 gateways... The answer is CM
data structures... In the recent past 5.5 base release, 5.0 and older, the
number of Internet networks (max 256), number of direct connect networks (max
32) and number of gateways (max 14) were all stored in a shared CM 32k word data
structure... You could (and HP did) attempt to tweak these numbers several
different ways and never satisfy all of the people all of the time.

Stage Right, In comes Native Mode IPU which moved the CM code to NM and moved
the CM shared data structure to multiple NM data structures.  NM-IPU is
present on MPE/iX 5.5 patch NSTEDF3 and beyond (which includes NSTFD10 5.5
GR patch).

Increasing the Max'Max'Gates changed from 14 to 256 took several passes,
1. Increase the data structure, 2. Fix the transport validation routines
and 3. Change the field validation in NMMGR.  We decided to go with a limit
of 256 = hex ff since we had a 2 digit field in NMMGR and we could avoid
modifying this field width and yet still accomplish a significant increase
(18 times larger) and achieve a foreseeable acceptable limit.

Bottom Line:

If you require more than (14) gateways, contact your friends at the HP-RC
and request fix/enhancement SR 1653-078519.  You will get:

1. NS-TRANSPORT patch NSTFDC6 (or supersede)
2. NMMGR patch NMCFDD4A (or supersede)
3. Instructions to perform COPY SUBTREE documented in SR 1653261172 (or
   you could install the patches and then build NMCONFIG from scratch
   with GUIDED CONFIG).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Hewlett Packard
Worldwide Technology Network Expert Center
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.