HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 10:43:56 +0200
Re: what Bonnie asked about the HPSWINFO file ...

OK, since no-one responded while I was away on this loooooong weekend, I'll
hit the keyboard for a few minutes and produce this :

Bonnie's right, HPSWINFO has a section for products and a section for patch
installs and other products (e.g. OpenDesk) installs. I'm not technically
sure these last two items, patch and products installs, really are two
separate sections, but we're most likely dealing with exotic distinctions
here.

Now, re: the product section ... It basically lists ALL HP products that
are available on the installed release, not just what is installed on your
system. You most likely will never use all the 200-odd software products
listed (e.g. I have only maybe 6 or 7 installed on my own demo box). Thus
Bonnie, you were correct when you wrote that the GlancePlus and GlancePak
lines on your systems are the same, though the install status is not, since
one of your boxes does not have the collector.

The the asterisk ("*") means that THIS product has been changed (version
string, or v.u.f. different) since last RELEASE, not last POWERPATCH. As an
example, read this, which I cut-and-pasted from my C.55.04 box :

**                                                               **
**              *** MPE/iX Mit 5.5 C.55.00  ***                  **
**                                      POWERPATCH C5504 P4      **
**              TUE, JUL 16, 1996,  1:27 PM                      **
**                                                               **
**     LIST OF HEWLETT PACKARD COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE PRODUCTS      **
**              INTEGRATED FOR DATECODE : '3628'                 **
**                                                               **
**     PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS PRECEDED BY ASTERISKS (*) ARE THE    **
**     PRODUCTS UPDATED/CHANGED BY THIS BUILD.  CHANGES ARE      **
**     RELATIVE TO:                                              **
**               RELEASE ID:  <MPE IX MIT C.50.00>               **
**               DATECODE:    <3504>                             **
**   PLEASE DO NOT PURGE THIS FILE.  IT IS USED TO LOG           **
**   CHANGE AND/OR PATCH INFORMATION AFTER INSTALLATION.         **

It explicitly lists a few product changes, like the three following lines
that I took as an example :

*ACCESS SERVER BASE ACCBASE    A.07.28
*ACCESS SQL SERVER  ACCESSQL   A.07.28
*INFORMATION ACCESS ACCESSXL   A.06.18

The v.u.f. mentioned is the updated one. The old v.u.f., before the change,
is not included for reference.

Then, there is the patch/powerpatch section. This is the one that I use
most, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I wrote a script that copies the
complete HPSWINFO file (I do not like to process original HP files) into a
separate group and extract the latest powerpatch and all reactive patches
that have been applied since this last powerpatch. If anyone wants it, I'm
OK to send it.

Oh, BTW, HPSWINFO patch info might not be totally accurate, if there have
been errors during the patch install, like install streams going on
perfectly well, and the subsequent update never done, or similar. But last
time I encountered such an error is already a few years back.

OK, that was a relatively long explanation, and it's most likely not 100 %
complete, but that's a start. My $.02 worth ... Or Euro 0,02 worth, as we
should now say this side of the Pond.

Christian Lheureux
Systems and Networks Department
APPIC R.H.
An HP Select Systems Integrator, HP3000 Expert