HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 03:01:10 -0500
At 5/14/99 05:06 PM , [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Tried several new tapes (DDS-60)

>I/O error ignored during AVR I/O status %74
>(does anyone have any idea what this means??)
>
>The backup seems to work okay.....

The "I/O error ignored during AVR" means that during "Auto Volume
Recognition"(where the system tries to read the first block of the tape volume
when it's first put online so as to be able to determine whether or not it's
labeled and if so the label information) there was an I/O error.  This *always*
happens on new or otherwise blank tape loads as there is no block there to
read. That message is MPE's way of saying "I can't read the beginning of this
tape."  It's also possible that the tape has data on it which can't be read by
that drive, perhaps it's a compressed tape in an uncompressed drive or perhaps
it's unable to read the data for some other reason.

If you get this error on a tape you expect you should be able to read from on
this drive, then it may indicate an error.  In any case, it probably means you
won't be able to read what if anything is already on it.

If you get this error on a new tape, that's perfectly normal.

When the AVR fails to read a block off the tape, MPE makes the tape mounted as
unlabeled, just as though the first block could be read but didn't look like a
labeled tape header.  That explains why the backup worked fine and why all the
attempts to make the perceived problem disappear don't work.  It's simply not a
problem, but rather just how MPE is implemented.
--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask]  [PGP key available here via finger]