HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Harry Dodsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Dodsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 02:42:09 GMT
  I don't think I used cards on an HP3000 assignment but used plenty on
other systems.

  There is an ongoing thread on alt.folklore.computers (Re: Living Legends)
which has some card stories. This was one of my contributions.

     We had a hot shot operator who was handling 2,000 cards by pressing
   in on the end cards. They slipped and went under the 2314 disk (IBM 370)
   drive. That is when we found the disk drive was leaking oil.

     The operator and the owner of the cards were already on bad terms over
   a woman and it was hard to convince the owner that this was an accident!

-----------

   In 1978, I was a programmer but had to load around 20,000 cards (ten boxes)
myself on a special project. I looked all over the building for spring loaded
card trays (Result: none) so had to load from the cardboard boxes.
  That weekend I was browsing the Government Surplus store. Piles of card
trays - what really hurt is that they came from the very department I was
working in :-)

  I recently took a COBOL program and data cards to show the guys at work.
I wrote it in 1968 and it ran for thirteen years which I thought was pretty
good. Of course, some of the COBOL I'm currently converting for Y2K was
written in the 1960s.

--
Harry Dodsworth Ottawa Ontario Canada  [log in to unmask]