HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 2

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 13:29:48 -0400
Someone always complains that the 3000 isn't doing what the 9000 is doing as
soon as it is out. The justification is nearly always that a robust business
server isn't about to be on the bleeding edge.  Sometimes a technology isn't
available for MPE, like fiber channel i/o for disk arrays, for a long time -
and often the justification is simply that it isn't needed by 3000
customers.  Both are solid business reasons to delay or defer offering a
technology on the 3000 and instead invest in other services that are needed.

        That said, it is very hard to estimate the PR loss (or real sales loss) of
not offering the latest technologies, since it tends to make the 3000 look
like it isn't keeping up and HP is leaving it behind.  I suspect that many
business decision makers would respond positively to the real message if it
was explained well by the sales force, although there will always be those
that have to have the latest gadgets.  The real question is, what message is
received by business decision makers, given the lack of sales force.

        I applaud the recent improvements in PR for the 3000. The current issue of
InforWorld has a news brief on page 3 about the 3000's e-services and the HP
server ad in the same issue doesn't list operating systems at all - just
pushes e-services with HP.  HP has seemed much more even handed toward the
3000 lately.

Richard G

--
Richard Gambrell
Database Administrator and Consultant to Computing Services