HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 2

From:
Boris Kortiak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Boris Kortiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 13:20:12 -0400
>>> Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]> 05/14/99 12:31PM >>>
> P.S. I always hated the disc limits I had in college! I was forever having to
> find ways around it! hehehe

I remember when our HS got onto a timeshare system.  Don't remember how much storage, but do remember it was measured in kB.  Anyway, we found these pair of commands called PUSH and POP which would PUSH files off our current account, but make them retrievable with a POP at any time, or so we thought.  Turned out the PUSH was part of the monthly maintenance and all PUSHed files would be archived to tape.  POP didn't work until the next EOM process would bring them off the tape.  Really hated going a whole month without playing TRADE.