HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 2

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 15:31:11 -0700
Nick Demos wrote:

> You have ot said WHY you want to use limits on a production
> machine.
> Typically, limits are used to keep programmers "honest", to clean
> up unused files, not hog the system, etc.  But on a production
> machine?  To what end?

well, it's to make the folks reponsible for the applications (and
data) own up to how much disc space they're actually using.
currently, the mpe admins monitor gross disc capacity -- how much
free space is left on this or that private volume.  since i've been
working for longs, i've done two 50% disc increases on this box and
the pattern seems to be continuing.  because of y2k, we've had a disc
(mech) explosion.  our cio is, rightfully, concerned about all this
disc and doesn't really want to buy anymore unless we absolutely have
to -- unless it's requested by the applications folk.  in the past,
applications was required to submit a projected disc budget.  we
haven't been doing that but will be again.     hth           - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer