HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 2

From:
Rick Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 17:36:47 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hello Rick & friends @ 3000-L,
>
> Re: Re: Secure Web Console
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------Rick Clark
> writes--
> <<Rick's stuff snipped - hey, after all, I am The Rick >>

> Hello Rick, I still believe in the theory that if you are in a falling
> airplane,
> that an appropriately timed jump will save your life :~) much like
> having a SWS
> (Secure Web Server) at a remote site late at night could save your job
> :~)  Ok,
> nuff of the sales pitch!

I agree with that theory> Anyone willing to test it? ;-)

> Yes, if you install the SWS on the parallel console port this will
> prevent
> predictive from dialing out since this is the port where you would
> typically
> have the support link modem configured and wired to.

Shoot, not what I was hoping to hear...

> I will suggest that it is possible to install your support link modem
> on an
> alternate port (25 pin RS232 DTC modem port - Oh, I just sold you a
> card for
> your DTC - I am good at this sales stuff!) and predictive can be
> reconfigured to
> use this DTC port.  I will invite others to pop up now and back me up
> or tear me
> down on this point, the last time I used predictive was 13 years ago
> when I was
> a customer.  I ran PSCONFIG.PRED.SYS on my system and found an option
> for
> "2 (Host-based DTC Port Configuration)" so I think I am right.

I will give this a try.

> Now if you do not have HP-Response-Center support on this machine (you
> do not
> expect the HP Response Center to dialin and restart your down machine
> and read
> error codes and do repairs while your system is booting up) you are
> OK.  You
> have your physical console on LDEV 20... your SWS plugged into
> parallel console
> port (some times LDEV  21), your support link on that RS232 Modem port
> in your
> DTC and predictive is configured for the alternate DTC ldev where the
> modem is
> wired to.
>
> If you do have HP-Response-Center support on this machine (you do
> expect the HP
> Response Center to dialin and restart your down machine and read error
> codes and
> do repairs while your system is booting up) then you will need to have
> the
> ability for your remote operator to unplug the SWS from the parallel
> console
> port and plug the HP-Support-Link modem in that port (i.e. a cable
> swap).

While I would expect HPRC to dial in and re-boot a downed system, the
cause of this whole question is that our operator is located in another
building (don't ask). There has been certain instancences that require
re-booting the system (stuck user, updates to config) that I would like
the option of re-booting from home or a remote site. What it sounds like
I can do, is take the HPSupport modem, attach it to a DTC modem
configured port, configure Predictive (PSCONFIG) to dial out on another
device, then attach the Web Console to my remote console port and
re-boot merrily away....

Now, anyone have any spare time I can borrow..... :-)