HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 2

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 15:19:46 -0400
Ed,

A gotcha with User Volumes, regardless of whether Mirror/iX is used or not,
is that you cannot rename a file from one volume set to another. This has
been discussed at length on this list whether or not that should be allowed
or not. Currently it can't be done. Files must be copied/purged if they are
to be moved from one volume set to another.

Why does this matter, you ask? Files are placed on a specific volume set
based on the GROUP they are in, not the account. If a file is renamed from
one group to another, both groups must reside on the same volume set. To
avoid this you want to assign all groups of an account to the same volume
set. Typically this is only a minor inconvenience and not a tragedy, but it
is worth noting.

The UDCs on JAZZ that have been mentioned by others help a great deal to
control what groups are on which volume sets. Unless you are constantly
adding/changing groups then there is very little to the maintenance of User
Volumes after the initial setup.
I would not hesitate to implement User Volumes and Mirror/iX.

Doug.

Doug Werth                                     Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                                       Cincinnati, Ohio

The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent the views or opinions
of Beechglen Development. They might, but not necessarily. They represent
solely the opinions of the author.