HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 1

From:
Simon Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simon Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 09:35:46 -0700
At the risk of infuriating all of you on the list....

The announcement made by CSY is interesting, but a little behind the times.
All CSY did was integrate a higher clock speed PA 8200 chipset that has been
available on the HP 9000 line for at least nine months.  In my opinion they
should be more current on technology than this, while still providing the
reliability and stability that all HP 3000 users have come to expect.

One other issue that seems to be neglected....

Application availability is still below par on the HP 3000.  Until this
changes, and CSY speeds up the integration of new technologies, the HP 3000
will not enter the mainstream.  (Granted, some of these are marketing
issues, but this is what drives products today.  Witness Windows vs. OS/2
and Oracle vs. other databases.)

Simon Palmer