HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 1

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 17:04:50 -0400
Prior to deleting users, the prudent action is to remove or alter any files
created by that user. IMHO the purgeuser command should have this option as
the default i.e.

purgeuser xyz;newcreator=abc

Without specifying the new creator "orphaned" files may exist. These files
may be critical and will not be restored by default. Note, this usually goes
unnoticed because very rarely can one restore 100% of the files. As Stan
indicate in a previous post some system files can not be restored only
'installed' or 'updated' under the ISL.

According to HELP RESTORE ALL
<snip>
If CREATE=CREATOR is not used, the default
behavior is:  If the creator of the file is not
found in the system directory, the file will not
be restored.  You will get an error message
telling you that the creator does not exist In
order to restore this "orphan" file, you must use
the CREATOR option or the CREATE option.
<end snip>

If you do use the CREATE=CREATOR to get closer to all of the files, then you
will also get those users you deleted! dejauser :(

The newcreator option could physically scan the files, or simply be part of
the file system that is used at restore time to map an orphaned creator to
an existing user.

TGIF
Mike