HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 1

Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 11:18:50 -0400
Re: (38 lines)
Hello Friends @ 3000-L

Re: Re: Secure Web Console

-----------------------------------------------------------------Donna Says:--
*currently* web console is only approved for 9000s.  we had one in here to demo
it.  kinda interesting.  I (sadly) never found the time (oh for shame) to plug
it into my crash-and-burn box.  the hp guy pitching it was (actually) rather
interested in seeing what it would do when plugged into a 3000.  it kinda looks
like an external jet direct box.  the interface is obviously meant for a UNIX
admin -- like it will create a new user with (more or less, and probably more
:-) a click of a button.  I don't think that would really work on a 3000.  it
certainly wouldn't support block mode.  lord knows what would happen if you
tried to go into nmmgr! 8-}  I don't know if it did any buffering.  we use
                 *****
telamon console engines for our remote 3000s.  they keep a buffer for the
console -- I don't know how much -- but it's a lovely thing if you have to
connect to a system looking for error messages and stuff. I got the impression
that hp is (at least) thinking about making the web console available for the
3000.  I guess if 'we' make enough noise....
  Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer
-----------------------------------------------------------------Donna Says:--

Good news is I believe we have seen recent announcements (posted on 3000-l) that
the Web Console will be supported on the 3000 very soon if not already.

Donna asks what would happen if you tried to go into NMMGR ?  Well, I did and I
am looking at the NETXPORT.GPROT.TCP screen right now on the Secure Web Console,
taste great, less filling!  Watch out for those console messages overwriting
your screens of course (just like being on the real console)...

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Hewlett Packard
Worldwide Technology Network Expert Center
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.