HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 1

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 09:23:37 -0400
Hi all,

I have tried to stay out of this debate but I do have some comments and a
question. There certainly have been excellent points for an abortproc and
counterpoints against. I have always felt there is a need for a kill process
command, with the caveat that a process that is set critical must be left
alone. I also agree with Richard that at some point you have to assume the
system admin is doing his/her job and give them the tools to get the job
done. We have 24x7 backup, disk arrays, mirroring software, shadowing,  SPU
switchover, etc. all to insure full system uptime. Why then do we still need
to schedule downtime to kill a hung or looping process?

Historically, rebooting an MPE system to solve a problem was almost unheard
of. Now it is commonplace, and worse, an accepted practice.

The question I have is this. What difference in potential corruption is
there with an abortproc command versus rebooting the system? If there is no
discernable difference then there should be no doubt that we should have an
abort/kill process command in some way shape or form.

BTW, I like some of the ideas presented where it could take a mini-dump try
to analyze the reason for the hang. Obviously HP can't fix problems that it
doesn't know about.

Doug (just my $.01  Between Richard and I we can make $.02 :-) )

Doug Werth                                     Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                                       Cincinnati, Ohio

The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent the views or opinions
of Beechglen Development. They might, but not necessarily. They represent
solely the opinions of the author.