HP3000-L Archives

May 1999, Week 1

From:
Rick Gilligan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Gilligan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 20:42:03 -0700
On Wed, 5 May 1999, Stigers, Greg [And] wrote:

> Actually,
> binary
> quote type l 8
> will set the client to binary and the host to bytestream. Been using it for
> months. ZIP files so uploaded can be opened with WinZip from a SAMBA share.

Ah, that's the trick!

> In what sense of the word is the ftp server not POSIX compliant? It is
> POSIX.2 compliant, isn't it? Although, frankly, my world is bigger than
> POSIX, and I am used to supporting platform specific requirements in my
> ftps. No big deal.

We just need some way to indicate that the filename is an HFS namespace
filename, thus "put filename.extension" would be interpreted properly, not
as FILENAME.EXTENSIO (missing group or group name too long).

Easier than typeing "put gratutiouslylongfilename.extension
./gratuitouslylongfilename.extension" to get the proper interpretation.

Hmmm... I wonder if "put filename ." works to use the filename as an HFS
filename?  That would be very handy.