HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:02:03 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> I'm having problems setting up Network printing from an HP3000
> to Jet Directs. (Currently we use XSPOOL to dump printjobs
> to Novell queues).
>
> So far, of the 5 JetDirects/printers I've tried to print to,
> only 2 have to worked.
> This is using 2 different models of JetDirects, 3 models
> of LexMarks and a LaserJet 4 with no discernable pattern as
> to what works or doesn't.
>
> Printers are all defined the same in on the HP3000 and the
> Jet Directs all look the same in JetAdmin.
>
> The ones that *don't* work actually do print....repeatedly.
> They go into a loop printing the job, then the following message
> on the console, and repeat until the spooler is manually stopped.

Yup. Known problem. We've had an open HPRC call on it since 10/98. Even the
latest patch (MPEKXF7) doesn't fix it.

Any laserjet 5 or newer will have this problem; so will some (newer) HP
LPQ line printers.

Add
pjl_supported = FALSE

to the npconfig entry for the printer.

You'll lose the ability to do page-level jam-recovery; in the event of a
jam, the whole printout will reprint.

And when you call the HPRC, you can note that our callid #A5551405 is for
the identical problem.

 -Chris Bartram