HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
Shane Devereaux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:38:29 +1000
Thanks everyone for the great replies. In summing up ( yup, seeking a
couple more comments here ),

1. KSAM/3000 is regarded by HP as non-compliant but KSAM/XL is
compliant. However ( from Glenn )

>  don't seem to see the problem with KSAM/3000 (CM) and Y2K.  After all,
> based on my experience, I have never seen anything in KSAM/3000 that was
> truly date sensitive - other than user data.  Also, internally HP has
> several "critical" applications that use KSAM/3000 files - and these
> were not moved to "nm" KSAM during our Y2K remediation.  The reasons are
> numerous (including a proprietary non-KSAM read procudure against these
> KSAM files).  The fact remains that in our testing, even using future
> dates, we never had a problem with the actual KSAM/3000 files.

and another good comment from Tracy:-

> This begs a question, is KSAM/whatever a product or a file type?
>
> If it is a product, does this mean someone can blame KSAM/whatever because
> they didn't allow for 4 digit years in their fields?
>
> If it is just a file type, does this mean flat files need to be compliant
> too?

While there were excellent suggestion of my converting my files over I
may find myself at odds with our solution provider and even risk losing
support. The only comment I have had from the supplier is as follows

> We are using compatibility mode KSAM.  We are not planning to implement
> Native mode unless there is some very good reason, due to the amount of
> work involved.
>
> I haven't considered y2k compatibility of KSAM to be an issue, and
> nothing in our testing has so far indicated that it is.
>
> Do we know what is the nature of non Y2K compliancy for compatibility
> mode?  Is it simply that it hasn't been certified?
>
> I think it's unlikely that we will have trouble compiling with
> the Native mode RPG compiler in the year 2000, but if so I guess
> we'll just have to put our clock back.  :-)

Before I consider further a move to convert to KSAM/XL and risk losing
support can I ask again if anyone would know any real reason why
KSAM/3000 itself would not be compliant ?

thanks again to all for you comments.

shane.

and for those that asked, no 'roos, no redbacks, but a damn speeding
ticket instead !

--
Shane Devereaux
Manager Information Systems