HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
"Stigers, Greg [And]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stigers, Greg [And]
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:18:32 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
Not meaning to open a can of worms, but for COBOLers, if the fields is PIC
X, or contained as the only item in its group, effectively allowing
reference as PIC X, this allows for possible useful overloading of the field
with, say, spaces, for one such meaning. Consistently done and well
documented, it can work well. Done wrong, inconsistently, or poor values
chosen, it's the stuff that leads to pulling out one's hair, but
inconsistency and poor choices with the design of any data has that
potential. I certainly agree about good names, having a flair for the
obvious.