HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:00:41 EDT
The Associated Press is reporting:

=======================================

HOUSTON (April 18) - Without notice and with little explanation, Compaq
Computer Corp. president and CEO Eckhard Pfeiffer resigned today along with
the company's chief financial officer.

The company's board formed an interim chief executive's office to handle
day-to-day operations of the world's largest supplier of computer systems.

Also resigning Sunday was Earl Mason, Compaq's chief financial officer.
Compaq treasurer Ben Wells will take on Mason's duties at least on an interim
basis.

The company has been under tremendous pressure from stockholders since it
stunned Wall Street on April 9 by announcing its first-quarter earnings would
be half of what analysts expected.

''Compaq has the best team anywhere in the industry - we have the people
necessary to make the right changes that will reinforce our industry
leadership,'' chairman Benjamin M. Rosen said. ''We have re-energized this
company before, and working together, we will do it again.''

The company said that Mason will take over a company ''in an unrelated
industry.'' Pfeiffer did not disclose his immediate plans.

''Compaq has come a long way since I joined the company in 1983,'' Pfeiffer
said. ''We are a world leader in personal computing, enterprise computing and
Internet applications.''

Pfeiffer, who took over as CEO in October 1991, was a key reason why Compaq
had taken over the top spot in terms of PC sales.

Still, Compaq has struggled to assimilate fellow computer maker Digital
Equipment, which it acquired last year.

Wirt Atmar