HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 08:23:26 +0200
(cross-posted to SIGJAVA-L and HP3000-L)

As I don't remember if there was a recent discussion on SIGJAVA-L
or on HP3000-L regarding CORBA options for the HP 3000, I am posting
this message to both lists. Sorry for receipients of duplicates.

I'm somewhat hesitant to forward an eMail with largely commercial
background, that I personally received because I have visited their
web site a while ago, but on the other hand, I thought it might be
helpful for those people looking for HP 3000 CORBA to know about
a potential site that might be worth checking out, as long as they
do offer pure Java and a trial version.

I haven't tried their demo myself as I am too innocent in CORBA.

I have also stripped down their eMail to just a reasonably small
snippet, to keep this "pointer" short. I have no commercial interest
or affiliation with them, so no PLUG tag here.

Please flame me privately to save list bandwidth that I wasted ;-)

Lars.

PS: I'd appreciate to hear when someone gives their stuff a try!

> From:             [log in to unmask]
> To:               <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:          Voyager 3.0 available NOW !
> Date sent:        Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:08:48
>
> Dear Voyager ORB User,
>
> Our records indicate you recently downloaded ObjectSpace's
> Voyager ORB for evaluation. By now you have had time (...)

Nope. I did *not* download their Voyager trial version but the
free version of their Java Generic Library (with utility classes
similar to the Java 1.2 Collections Library but implemented also
for Java 1.1). I found reference and fairly interesting overview
in Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java" book quite some time ago and
thus got curious...

> The new Voyager 3.0 product line consists of the following (...)

> Voyager ORB (formerly Voyager Core Technology)
> * Voyager ORB is a high-performance, full-featured object request
> broker that simultaneously supports CORBA, RMI, and
>   shortly, DCOM.

That made me curious for now and for the upcoming DCOM version.

> * Its innovative dynamic proxy generation takes ease of use to
> the next level by removing the need for stub generators.

The details at their web site sound more interesting (to me).

> * Voyager ORB includes a universal naming service, activation
> framework, publish/subscribe, and mobile agent technology.

???

> * Developers can download Voyager ORB from the ObjectSpace Web
> site and use it in most applications at no charge.

This one definitely made me curious. Free of charge is always a nice
means to tempt me wasting my precious leisure time -- but not this
time, guys :-)

But more seriously, a freely available developer version seems very
interesting to me as it would allow a CORBA or DCOM interested person
to prototype and test (on the HP 3000) at no risk. Just purchase the
licensed product when things work reasonably well. Or am I mislead?

> Voyager ORB Professional (formerly VoyagerPro)

[snip]

> Voyager Transactions
> =====================

[snip]

> Voyager Security
> =================
> This security framework runs with Voyager ORB Professional and
> allows you to plug in your current SSL implementation.

Plug in your current SSL, they won't give you a new one ;-)

> Voyager Security provides ACL support and SOCKS4/SOCKS5 firewall
> tunneling.

Might be nice for people like me who live inside firewalls ;-)

> Voyager Application Server

[snip]

So, again, I regret if this was too close to a commercial SPAM,
but I'd be curious to learn if someone has experience with their
product (or the free part of it) or would be willing to share
good or bad experiences after kicking tires...

> Go to http://www.objectspace.com (...)

Lars Appel/iX ;-)

(only speaking/asking for myself here, not for hp.com or alike)