HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
Keven Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keven Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:59:35 -0600
I haven't (yet) completed my study and understanding of syslog, but here
is what I understand for now.

syslog is a procedure that my code can call to log any kind of message
I want to either STDERR, system console, the logging system via
syslog deamon, or any combination of the above.

syslogd, the deamon, waits for incoming log messages on a socket.
Incoming messages are routed to the log file, and/or out a socket to
another syslogd (Thus allowing multi machings to all log to a final
consolidated log system).

If MPE used syslog for all console messages, they can be sent to another
machine's syslogd.  I know pcmag.com has software for routing NT events
out to a syslogd. You could also route MPE message to a syslogd running
on your NT/Linux server.

</enhancement thought>
If syslogd would [optionally] listen for another socket connection for
output of messages, you could telnet into this port and have a
"Remote Console" of sorts that monitors/captures these messages.

Or write a program that connects and processes these messages
such as listing for UPS messages,
                    reply requests,
                    session/job logons
You could connect to listen to your console from anyplace on the
internet.
Even have multiple connections so you and your other sysadmin or
processing program can view the console.
</enhancement thought>

Just some rantings when thinking about requests of REMOTE CONSOLE, UPS
monitoring and user shutdown jobs.

Keven Miller