HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
"Stigers, Greg [And]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stigers, Greg [And]
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:12:58 -0400
Don't get me wrong - I like fast connections, and faster is generally
better. But 105ish Kbytes/sec is better than we had been seeing not that
long ago. We were lucky to hit 50, and frequently saw 25! Perhaps I should
have mentioned that we are going across a WAN, and our 3000 is in another
state... I know that we are currently going thru a (recently doubled) 896k
line at one point, and can only guess what other troubles could be seen.
From our new building, with 100Mbit Ethernet, I do hope to see better
throughput.

I will ask about SP4 on our NT ftp server, but I am pretty sure that we
either are there or are going there. Perhaps I can help with the
disconnects... We had to put our ftps inside a !WHILE loop at first, because
of frequent SOCKERR 64s. Finally, we increased our inbound buffer pool by
how many times more memory it had than the model's default, and no more
SOCKERR 64s. We also got much better throughput.

My original point was simply comparing an ftp put to a smbclient put, albeit
to different NT boxes. I thought this might be of interest to anyone else
wondering which gives better throughput for getting a file from a 3000 to an
NT box.