HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:38:59 +0200
Quite some time ago, Ted wrote...

>2) That console log is used by the operators (and by the head operator and
>   myself in working with them) on a fairly regular basis.  There is no
>   program, no matter how well written which can give you access to the disk
>   log like you have to the paper one (or, with the same readability,
either).

I do not intend to disagree with this statement, but let me share what
typically helps me to get some reasonably readable console log from the
system logfiles... (you milage may vary, but give it a try ;-)

:SYSDIAG
DUI> LOGTOOL
LOGTOOL> STATUS DETAIL
 (pick the interesting log file numbers based on "starts at" timestamps)
LOGTOOL> SUMMARIZE LOG=123/456
 (just to get a quick overview about events contained in those logfiles)
LOGTOOL> LIST LOG=123/456 TYPE=115 OUT=myfile1
 (this one extracts type 115 events ie console messages to a disc file)
LOGTOOL> EXIT
DUI> EXIT

:FCOPY FROM=myfile1.diag.sys;TO=myfile2.diag.sys;NEW;SUBSET="(OUTPUT)"

Now I can print myfile2 for the lines that look pretty much like what
scrolled along the console in the past (ignoring the (OUTPUT) prefix on
each line) and or check out myfile1 in case I want all the details that
are reported by LOGTOOL LIST (eg associated PIN numbers, user, acct...)

Just in case someone else might find this method useful, too.

Lars "should that go to the FAQ as well?" :)

PS... Don't forget to purge myfile1 and myfile2 in DIAG.SYS when done.