HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 22:06:14 -0400
Michael,

> Joe Geiser optimistically posted:
>
> > In other words, the USPS cannot charge postage for e-mail, because they
do
> > not own the equipment, the software, the mailboxes or the mail clients!
>
> Uh huh.  And they can't charge for building permits, since they don't own
the
> property, the materials, or the labor.
>
> And they can't charge me for exchanging some of my private property to
you,
> for some of your money, so the so-called "sales tax" is a myth, too.
>
> Income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, permit fees, license fees,
> postage: they're all just different names for the same thing.
>
> Never underestimate the power or determination of any
> government to reach into your pocket.
>
> (No, I don't believe we are in immediate danger of an "email tax" -- but I

> wouldn't be at all surprised to see such legislation introduced.)

I didn't say TAXES - I said POSTAGE.  The USPS cannot charge POSTAGE on
email that starts on MY personal computer, which goes through **my
company's** server, over the dedicated internet link that **my company**
pays for.

I'll go so far to say that if they even tried, I can envision the
class-action lawsuit!

Sheesh!

Joe