HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 2

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 08:45:17 +0200
>We need to interface an IMAGE application on the HP3000 (written in
>POWERHOUSE ) with a PC :-( network application. The PC application uses a
>dBase compatible file system and is written in C.

Hmmmm. What type of "link"? More like extract/export/import/merge on a
more or less regular basis (batch or manually triggered) or more like a
continuous live-link? PC or 3000 as client or server?

Some wild think-pink ideas for the extract/merge type...

Several applications, like DataExpress from MB Foster or Sheetmate or
byRequest from Hillary, for example, seem to be capable of extracting
Image data into dbase file format (among others). This could be placed
into a Samba share for the PC side to pick up or access.

Another option (cheaper ;-) might be using UNLOAD TO EXTERNAL in ISQL
to extract IMAGE/SQL data to flat ASCII with fixed columns for import
into dBase and the like.

Some wild think-pink ideas for live-connectivity...

Does dBase offer ODBC or JDBC access? This might be quite handy to write
a small client/server helper on either the 3000 or the PC side. If the
ODBC or JDBC access to dBase is not an option, it might still be possible
to use WinSock or Starvision or MiddleMan or Netbase Client or somesuch
for putting together a solution where either the 3000 or the PC acts as
client to the other side.

Lars.

Insert standard "hear-say" disclaimer here. Haven't used all of the above
mentioned products myself. And there are surely even more good candidates.