HP3000-L Archives

April 1999, Week 2

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:26:14 +0200
Hello Michael and all fellow Listers !

I'm afraid that, by attempting to share some past experience, I spread a
little confusion to what my (and I really mean MY) position toward Patch/iX
and Stage/iX is.

First, let me say that I want these tools to continue to improve, and I am
highly confident they will. My very first experience dates back to the beta
test of 5.5, spring'96. At that time, about 20% of patches were not
Stage/iX-compatible, for some reason. From what I've seen more recently on
a few sites, this proportion has significantly decreased. Once again, just
my own perception. Patch/iX and Stage/iX may have a few bugs here and
there, but I do not remember ever killing a system or some other
catastrophe as a consequence of using these tools, even during the beta
test, when it was commonly accepted that these products could be less than
stable.

Last time I ordered patches, I received a tape with Autopat and
Autopat-format patches, i.e. patches installed perfectly, but they were
missing a few files that makes them Patch/iX-installable. RCEs on this list
must understand what I'm talking about. This is not, I repeat NOT, a
criticism toward Patch/iX, which I think is an excellent tool, but more a
remark toward local HPRC procedures, which have not been updated to take
advantage of these new tools. Once again, this did not happen in the USA.
Oh well, if some of my former teammates at the HPRC who sent me those
patches read this, it's certainly not a criticism toward you in person, but
more toward the lack of adaptability of the procedures you have to carry
out, whether you like them or not.

Now, about Patch/iX and Stage/iX, let me say a few things that most of you
probably already know. Patch/iX enables to install subsys, Powerpatches and
patches while users continue doing their business as usual. This is a net
reduction in planned downtime. Stage/iX enables to boot the system from a
staged area (a copy of MPE on disk that contains patched code), without the
need to create an SLT and boot from tape. This is another net reduction of
planned downtime. All in all, system uptime ratios will significantly
increase just by using today's standard tools. When trying to implement a
High Availability strategy, who would reject such tools ? Certainly not me,
hence my slight frustration when I received Autopat-format patches, and my
overwhelming support for Patch/iX and Stage/iX.

Oh, BTW, does anything similar to Patch/iX and Stage/iX exist on other OSs
? On Un*x ? NT ? OS/400 ? Anything else ? Not sure. Anyone has information
to share ? Once again, MPE might lead the world of cutting-edge technology.

Christian Lheureux
Consultant for Systems and Networks
APPIC R.H.
An HP3000 Systems Integrator