HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 5

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 06:06:28 -0800
This has come up a lot from some of my clients as possible problem dates as
well.  I agree with your thinking Paul, but I was able to come up with a
scenario.  If they were using a 16 bit integer to store the data, and it
was some bit representation like CALENDAR or something, and they were using
COBOL with a PIC S9(4) COMP, then the largest value you could get in would
be 9999.

I don't know anyone that has actually done this, but I do know that a
number of ManMan shops just went through what they were calling "The ides
of march".  I guess the original ASK Date format was similar to Calendar in
that it was a julian date that counted from the formation of the company.
The way they implemented it the field maxed out on March 15th of this year.
CA fixed this a while back, but no everyone got update.

Shawn

Paul Christensen <[log in to unmask]> on 03/31/99 06:05:08 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]