HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:06:19 -0500
Well, I tried to reply offlist, but since a separate message had to be
posted here as well...

On Tuesday, March 23, 1999 16:36, Paul Courry [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
said,

> Uh Joe, I hate to tell you this, but don't believe everything
> you read. Who do you think supplied all the info the story? Hardware
> House or HP? Just remember, ad hominem attacks are just as
> popular today as in Joeseph McCarthy's time.

McCarthyism?  Are we being serious here?!?

<composing himself...>  there, now...

The information in this article came from a (1) Local Law Enforcement
Officer, (2) Public record, the lawsuit which was corroborated by the
aforementioned law enforcement officer, and (3) a former law enforcement
officer working for HP.  Playing bit roles and backing up the lawsuit is the
FBI.  The article also stipulates that Motorola, Sun and IBM were also
harmed, not just HP.

One would see this if one read the entire article - all 5.5 printed (on a
Laserjet) pages.

McCarthyism... geez...

I think Wirt summed it up nicely... *IF* - and this is the operative word
here,
*IF* these companies behaved in this way, and this story is accurate, then
they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I'll add:

*IF* SS_CONFIG was found at these sites, as the article claimed - then those
companies should be held liable and their principals prosecuted.  That
software is not sold and is used by HP CE's only.

*IF* kickbacks were made to employees of HP, then that company and its
principals should be punished and those employees fired (they were) and
prosecuted.

*IF* this story is bogus, then they will be vindicated in a court of law.  I
doubt that the story is bogus, because then the companies mentioned in the
story could then sue the hell out of HP, the wire services and the
periodicals/newspapers that carried the story.  Do you really think that HP
and other entities would open themselves up for that kind fight so
blatently?  I don't think so.

Sorry, I tend to believe the story.  I personally don't have anything
against Abtech or Hardwarehouse, but if they (and others that have been
rumored to have joined them but have been as of yet, unnamed) behaved in
this manner, and it can be proven, then, well, "we makes our beds, and we
lie in them" - right?

Regards,
Joe