HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Roy Buzdor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Buzdor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:21:36 -0800
Shawn Gordon wrote:

> Check out http://www.hp.com/pressrel/mar99/19mar99.htm
> if you haven't already seen.

<rant on>

Well, I just lost a lot more respect for HP.  I
always had thought of them as a company that put
its customers first.  I lost some of that respect
when they came out with multiple versions of the
same hardware to which the only difference was a
number set somewhere in memory, stating how many
users it would support.  I lost some more when
they came out with the same hardware in two
different lines (3000 / 9000) of which the 3000
was a lot more expensive, simply because the 9000
(unix) users were not locked in to HP.  I seemed
to remember that they kept telling us that there
was a lot of difference between the two...it just
looked like they were the same.  Now, it seems
that someone has proven that they are the same,
by (allegedly) tweaking the machines so that the
9000 will run MPE/iX...and by changing that
secret number that limits the number of users
who can run on the 3000.  HP may win the lawsuit,
but they have lost their soul.

I just hope that M$ doesn't come out with versions
of Windows which run slower if you pay less money
for them.  (Oops, I shouldn't have said that and
given anyone any ideas.)

<rant off>

--

Buz          (8

|  Knowledge is proud that it has learn'd so much;             |
|  Wisdom is humble that it knows no more.                     |
|    -- William Cooper: _The Task VI_                          |
| This is official written notice:      | My real address is:  |
|   Please remove me from your mailing  |   lnuslad dot dzvg41 |
|   list.                               |    at eds dot com    |