HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:10:29 -0800
Chris writes:
> Pick up a copy of rndpass from www.3k.com in the public domain software area.
> It accepts a list of account, user, and/or group names and assigns them each
> random passwords. I've been using it for many years to randomize passwords
> on unused accounts/groups/users.

Hmmm, how good is its randomization?  I suspect that if I tell it
to assign a new account password to all accounts on my system, that I
can probably then determine the random passwords on all the other
accounts given any one of the passwords (i.e. given the password for
"my" account, it may be easy to determine the SYS account password).

G.